Friday, August 14, 2009

Flickr ... no not the dolphin!

I have just downloaded Flickr and uploaded some digital photos. As suggested by Flicker, (2009) "Flickr is an image and video hosting website, web services suite, and online community platform. In addition to being a popular website for users to share personal photographs, the service is widely used by bloggers as a photo repository. Upon joining Flickr it asked me to add any contacts and I picked my yahoo account. It did an automatic search of my email account and I found that I had a few friends that I worked with me in China. It was great to see what they have been doing and experiencing through there own eyes. I went into one of my old work colleagues pages and found a picture of the Pearl Tower in Shanghai at nightime aboard a river ferry. This brought back memories of when I used to go on my monthly visits to Shanghai and what an incredable experience it was. This was an easy experience that could be used in the classroom. For example you could get the children to take a digital camera home for "A day in the life of" activity. The students can take pictures and document what they had done over a weekend and write a little caption under the picture they uploaded on Flickr. This would be an engaging experience for all the students as well as a getting to know each other activity. Picture - Shanghai Pearl Tower at night C/O Steven Milward

3 comments:

  1. I can remember my daughter having to bring home a stuffed crocodile from prep and create a poster with digital images to represent Kenny's crocodile adventure at her house. Now the photo's could be uploaded to Flickr and a digital story could be incoporated. Fun, Fun, Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. think this would be great idea with Flickr to engage students in the learning environment via technology. My son had a similar learning experience - he brought home a stuff dog and said to me, "We need to take pictures and take them to school." I was like on great I have no ink on my printer to print them out, if only I new Flickr was available. My child, with the assistance of me, could have uploaded them and the LM could download them with him and his classmates at school via us being Flickr friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This activity would be relevant for all ages. As I am early childhood trained it is a good way to introduce younger learners into using digital technology. It also a great way of share their pictures without having to print out photo's on paper.

    ReplyDelete